When it comes to procuring business equipment loans small business have difficulties in seeking investment for new and modern machinery. This becomes a problem especially when it is the only thing that is keeping you from achieving progress or expansion. Another factor that one has to take into account is the term of the loan. Very long term loans are economically feasible but they are not viable from the point of view of the lender.
Difficulties of business equipment loans:
- Documentation: Many companies that are just starting up face the problem of not having a proper document history. Their paper work is somewhat lacking for the needs of the lender. This lowers the lender’s confidence in the business and makes him sceptical in offering a loan.
- Fees: This is another one of the hurdles that inexperienced business owners face while coming into the market for a loan. As they have no prior knowledge of the process, they are not familiar with the huge amount of money that they will be paying as a fee (application fees, processing fees, etc).
- Terms and conditions of the loan: These are often set by the lender keeping his own interests in mind and not the requirements of the applier. This will result in difficulties for the business owner when he tries to use his loan. Restrictions on use and limitations on spending often render the purpose of a loan meaningless.
- Credibility: The credibility of the business owner is often a big factor in him or her being able to get a loan approved. If the applier has any history of bad debts, they get disqualified and their request is turned down. This may result in the collapse of cash starved businesses.
- Collateral: Not all businesses have deep pockets and reserve resources that they can keep as collaterals. This is a problem especially for small business owners who work mostly on monthly basis and depend on short term loans for their emergency cash needs. In absence of resources, they fail to get a loan.
- High rate of interest: The investor is trying to make his own profit. And he may charge a high rate of interest that some businesses might not be able to pay back.
Even in face of such odds, business owners have to accept the conditions of the lender as there is no other alternative for them. They have to make do with the options they have.